My Main page

IAN CHRISTIE

Tuesday 19 February 2008

Project Rose and lily

A while ago I was commissioned to paint a mural in a bar in St Julian's by my friend and interior designer Chantal. The theme was a bit awkward, not really my style.You see ,the Bar is called "Rose and Lily" so the mural had to some how tie in. Floral stuff is not really my forte but...
Well here is the work( I took photos of each step):

Started with a ploting the proportions on the bare wall. The area was approximatly 2m X 3m.The horizontal and vertical line ( basically 2 pieces of string) gave me a rough guide. I than proceeded in sketching the design.

Next I started filling in the first colour , the red of the rose. I use mainly acrylic. Its cheap, easy to handle and dries fast.

I than used black to give the red shap and shadows. I avoided using lighter reds on each petal and just used some cadmium yellow on small parts to give a bit of highlight. I believe i gave the rose a more velvety feel( on the side you can see the reference pix i used)Next came the lily.

Lilies are normally thought of as white, i know . But I couldn't really see a white iliy on a white wall!! So I went for a purple colour, high lighted with white.

Finished the lily ( still need to do the stamens but that will come later) I started the background.
I basically used watered done shades of Green , just to give the surface a colour wash , adding more colour using the airbrush.

More green.:)

And finished. After finishing the lily from the Stamens I added the curvy designs on the sides, just to balance out the composition.

No comments: