My Main page

IAN CHRISTIE

Saturday 4 September 2010

Project jelly fish


One of my latest projects.


What to do with a multitude of plastic bottles I seem to be gathering ? Dump them in the recyling bin? why not create something artistic out of rubbish?
So here's project Jelly Fish.

The idea came to me some years ago when I was creating some magic mushrooms for the "Enchanted forest" Party. We used the plastic bottles as stakes and heated them up to deform the otherwise easily recognizable bottle. Liked the effect. At that time I was also toying with the idea of large art pieces made from ,well rubbish.

A few weeks ago I was playing with a PET bottle I had around and after a bit of cutting and heating I cam e up with what looked like a jelly fish.
Well i happen to like jelly fish , that scourge of summer. You only start appropriate them if you take the plunge and carefully watch them in their own environment.But I digress
Anyway the shape came easy enough and with a few tweaks to the technique I soon had quite a few of these critters

What's next.
I have a few ideas. firstly I want to include some light. as you can see from the pics the light really creates a beautiful effect passing through the translucent plastic. The idea is to create as 'chandelier' with LED lights going in the jellies .
Any more ideas?

No comments: